talk-in-interaction

analysis, social organization, classroom talk

Wednesday, July 13, 2005

flickr and blogging


poker3
Originally uploaded by angie cat.
who could fail to notice the print emphasis in my blog (or the predominance of black and white, consequently). I QUITE like it, however I have been exploring flickr lately and so decided to try to blog a pic using it. Since I don't have a black and white pic at the ready, here is something from my garden. the original plant was a gift and had a flower already blooming when I planted it. this flower is the first that i have grown myself. as you can see, I haven't quite mastered the placement of the text. What was also interesting in the blogging of the pic using flickr was that the flickr program called up all my blogs without my help i.e. they were findable in cyberspace by flickr so the program must be able to access all blogs. strange and scary in one sense

2 Comments:

At 1:54 AM, Blogger christinA said...

Robyn, I love your work on silence. it even got me thinking this evening about how silence working in the helping sequences that i analysed in chapter six of my thesis. the silences between the kids got longer and longer and (I deduced) actually resulted in Melodie not wanting to help wayne any longer. This is, I think at this moment, because silences between peers was not natural. they wanted to fix it up but .. remember the teacher said don't tell so they had little left to do. in your case with the roundtables ... I don't know but I reckon when you get the answer to that the chapter will be written.

 
At 12:15 AM, Blogger christinA said...

thanks for your comments Robyn. as usual they get me thinking. some thoughts off the cuff.

isn't it interesting how silence is a problem, but also taken-for-granted. In the institutional context that forms our work, the teacher often takes up the "problem" and asks another question (or does something) as the teacher. keeps things moving perhaps? what you seem to moving towards (?) is shifting the responsibility for talk, as represented by your attitude to silence. What you have access to, which your students mostly don't, are the transcripts. I wonder what would happen if you showed students transcripts and addressed silence in them i.e. pointed out what you had been trying to do in previous roundtables with students and what resulted. The things that you are finding out were taken-for-granted by you, so students will not know them either. So -if they did?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home