talk-in-interaction

analysis, social organization, classroom talk

Friday, July 08, 2005

blogging regularly

I have decided to be more regular about blogging. The idea of using my blog to make myself accountable (to myself) seems a good one at the moment.

Today I addressed the analysis section of my article. Since it was "lifted" from a chapter of my PhD I was pretty sure that it was a tight analysis. I did some minor tweaking of wording but also found myself re-thinking some aspects of the analysis itself. Looking at sequences of talk is very seductive and there is a great urge to re-analyse but I fought it by reminding myself of the immediate purpose -to produce the article.

I can understand now how CA people can keep going over and over sequences of talk. Harvey Sacks, the founder of CA, would often devote many lectures with his students to re-analysing the same short sequence of talk. Imagine doing that in today's climate in Higher Education.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home