talk-in-interaction

analysis, social organization, classroom talk

Wednesday, July 06, 2005

still learning to write

I have written before about the angst involved in completing a Phd but not publishing from it. Producing a journal article HAS nearly driven me nuts. however, good news. I am almost finished one. In the process of trying to write after my PhD completion,and out of my thesis, I feel that i am learning a lot about writing. should be easy? no.

this seems elementary -and maybe it is a style that i have -but in previous attempts i kept re-working drafts, cutting and pasting from my thesis, changing bits, tinkering. this time,I have been ruthless with words with good consequences. the lesson -take out all offending text, strip the article back and then say what you want to say. be clear about the intention of the article -not what was intended in the thesis.

I will get it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home