talk-in-interaction

analysis, social organization, classroom talk

Friday, May 05, 2006

undoing my life as I know it

I am now officially on leave from the University of Ballarat. Using up my four weeks of accrued leave will allow me to get organised, in the sense of finding tenants for the house, finding somewhere to live in Rockhampton, and making the shift of furniture, cat and self by the 5 June. While it all seems to be about the physical matters of relocating, I am experiencing a profound sense of "not being myself". Today, I put that down to the undoing of most of what i have come to know as my daily life in Ballarat. The relocation to Queensland is a big move with the expected problems and issues. However, I didn't expect to feel such a sense of loss nor to be so aware of my daily doings - currently being disrupted on lots of levels. Consequently, while I arrange something each day that needs to be done (like finding tenants for this home in Buninyong), I have a growing sense of unreality. All my taken-for-granteds have come home to roost. How easy it is to have a pet in your own home - I lost a rental property in Rockhampton this week cos the owner was allergic to cats. Going from owner of home to potential renter of a home is horrible. Worse, I am leaving my home here and renting it out. While I think i have found wonderful tenants, I feel strange handing it over. Bottom line, for the first time in my life I feel as if my career is driving me in a specific direction that undoes some things about my life that i really like. Yet I know it has to be done because the CQU position is going to develop me further as an academic.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home