talk-in-interaction

analysis, social organization, classroom talk

Tuesday, November 08, 2011

the fellowship

Since July of this year, I have been on a research fellowship at RIPPLE. It has been a marvellous opportunity to devote sustained time to my research work. So, apart from writing I've also been able to do quite a bit of reading. This appears like a luxury but will stand me in good stead for the next couple of years of research. It is amazing how quickly you can get out of touch with certain bodies of literature. For me, there was the need to get stuck into literature on CA. Most recently that has been in relation to work on young children's disputes. I like the work a lot and think that I will possibly write some more in this area down the track. Meanwhile I am busy finishing my chapter titled:

When ‘Yes’ turns to ‘No’: Young children’s disputes during computer game playing in the home

I have a number of disputes between children during use of the computer but this is the first analysis of them that I have done. As usual, I have used single case analysis and produced a detailed analysis of a long spate of talk. At the moment the draft suggests that it is still a challenging read because of the length. So, I am working on that today. Associated literature that I have really enjoyed reading?

Church, A. (2009). Preference organization and peer disputes: How young children resolve conflicts. Surrey, Eng: Ashgate.

Hester, S., & Hester, S. (2010). Conversational actions and category relations: An analysis of a children’s argument. Discourse Studies, 12(1), 33-48.

Vuchinich, S. (1990). The sequential organization of closing in verbal family conflict. In A. D. Grimshaw (Ed.), Conflict talk (pp. 111-138). Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home