talk-in-interaction

analysis, social organization, classroom talk

Friday, November 11, 2011

the chapter

It was with some relief that I met my deadline yesterday for delivery of a book chapter. I don't like missing deadlines and try to avoid doing that wherever possible. So, I had the chapter together in draft form by around Wednesday and then took to some editing up until yesterday. The chapter does need some more work but hopefully I will get a chance after the reviews come in (fingers crossed).

This is the first time that I have seriously written about young children's disputes so I needed to (again) get on top of a body of literature that I wasn't all that familiar with and of course I also needed to do my own analysis. I liked doing the analysis a lot - for some reason it seemed more straight forward than some of the analysis I've needed to do in the last few years.

I also have a student who is now analysing disputes in her data so my own work with dovetail nicely with her supervision. The student is also examining talk in the playing of a game, as I did, so lots of connections and flow on from the work I've done in the last month on the chapter.

I've kept files as the work progressed and it is really interesting to see the very first rough transcript and annotations that I made on that using Maynard's work to help me initially identify some of the sequences. I also presented a paper on that developing analysis when I was in Freibourg in July. My work moved on again with the actual development of the chapter and, hopefully, will receive some good reviews that will help me refine it just that little bit further.

Now I'm going to switch to reading about literacy and new media.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home