talk-in-interaction

analysis, social organization, classroom talk

Thursday, October 14, 2010

Dispute? Argument? Disagreement?

Today, I've been thinking about sections in recordings where interaction between children "broke down". It often led to one of the children walking away from the computer. Anyhow, today I transcribed a little section of one recording in order to look at the talk more closely. the children were playing a game where cartoom images of Australian animals had to be linked if they were the same. The older child, Hannah (H)had played the game and she was showing the younger child, Kaydie (K) how to play it. Throughout the game, Hannah played it in order to show but eventually she let Kaydie play because the younger child insisted that she knew how to do it. the computer (C) also gave directions.

I've copied the first draft transcript here although the transcript doesn't yet include a lot of interactional detail that can be represented in a transcript. For example, Kaydie was very adamant that she didn't need Hannah telling her about the game because she knew what to do. Her talk shows heavy emphasis on the words 'know' and 'away'. So far, I've indicated that she elongated sounds in these words. I will add in other symbols later to show loudness.

H: now Kaydie you just can’t (0.4) you can’t link anyone
(0.4)
H: actually it’s like you have to link two devils together or
maybe you have to ( )
K: I kno↓:::::↑::w
H: so why did you do this? devil crocodile echidna
crocodile kangaroo devil devil
K: because I’m trying to get the sickness awa:::y
(2.0)
H: mmm (0.4) that (0.2) so okay Kaydie you hafta ( ) that one
(0.4)↔((click of mouse))
H: that one
(0.4)↔((click of mouse))
H: that one
(0.4)↔((click of mouse))
and that one

A second example involving the same children looks a little like this:
H: are you ready
K: yes
(1.0)↔((H clicks the mouse))
C: you must fill this container up to the top by making
links on the board (0.4) the more animal tiles you link
together the more points you get (04) to finish the
level you must reach the total points showing above
the container
(2.6)
H: ready
K: yes=
H: =do you wanna start with all these crocodiles?
(1.0)
H: yep
K: yes
→ (6.0)↔((H clicking the mouse at intervals))
K:→ >no Hannah don’t<
(1.0)↔((H still clicking the mouse))
K:→ don’t
(1.0)↔((H continues to move the mouse))
K:→ o:::wh oh no:::: I said do:::::n’t
(2.0)
H:→ why?
(1.0)
K:→ because I wanted to ( ) the crocodiles
H:→ I did!
K:→ I::: want to
C: one of the animal tiles has fallen sick you need
to use this tile when you can to make sure the
sickness does not spread the sickness spreads
every few moves you make these score zero points
when you ( ) with a sick tile
(7.0)↔((H clicking on various tiles at intervals))
K:→ Hannah I know=
H: =whoops
K:→ Hannah I know how to do it
H:→ >do it< then
(0.4)
H: just call me when you’re ready

Anyhow, I will try to do a little analysis so that I can see what I have here. Any thoughts?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home