talk-in-interaction

analysis, social organization, classroom talk

Thursday, May 22, 2008

second take

today is my recording day after a misfire last week. yes, I might be anxious about getting data collection done but meanwhile people have their lives to live! seriously, recording plans falling through (as mine did last week) has reminded me of the generosity of people and the imposition that qualitative research sometimes makes on lives. I am also very very grateful to Gillian who has helped me find participants. as someone remarked yesterday, we rather have a captive audience in school classrooms -not so when recording requires venturing into people's homes.

meanwhile, I've been getting familariar with equipment and gaining quite a few new skills. I spent several hours teaching myself how to "capture" a recording. it was a tremendous sense of achievement when I finally got it. It is dead easy NOW. So, I've been looking at little trial recordings on my computer screen. that is just brilliant. I will soon be purchasing Transana, and I'm itching to learn that. Hopefully, it will make the transcription process a little easier. I also think it should lead to another publication on transcription.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home