talk-in-interaction

analysis, social organization, classroom talk

Friday, September 16, 2005

blogged off

I have been trying to access my blog for two hours. Can't get in and so decided to try going in through the blog of another. this appears to have worked. strange.

While I have access to my blog I will record some doings of the day. I spent most of my office hours accessing work from the website of Dr Mike Forrester. He has established a corpus of work that consists of interactions in the home with his daughter Ella. Fantastic data access. I am going to write to him to ask if this data is available for secondary analysis of data. If so, it would mean that my undergrad students could use Ella's talk for their assignment where they have to analyse talk. Some students express difficulties accessing children's talk so if they could use this data base it would be fantastic.

My second question to Mike will be whether PhD students could access this data. I presume that it would be okay. If so. this would also be a plus. While it is usually the case that PhD students in education collect and analyse data themselves, the corpus is in no way different from accessing historical evidence through the analysis of print texts. Very exciting.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home