talk-in-interaction

analysis, social organization, classroom talk

Friday, August 26, 2005

CA and new technologies

During the week I did a search using Google Scholar and seeking CA studies that relate (in some way) to new technologies. I have listed a small number of studies (see the sidebar link)and will add to this over the next few weeks. The link is to another blog that I have created for the purpose of "storing" the studies. I figured that this would be more accessible for me than listing the papers under favourites.

Doing the trawl of CA work in the "area" was a great way to get my head back to thinking about aspects of CA that I might pursue in the future. Funnily enough I could make some parallels with my PhD work in the classroom and the analysis of some on-line activity. For example, because i recorded interaction that occurred during a time of individual activity by students (independent writing)much of the resulting transcript contains simultaneously occurring conversations. So ... I was interested to note some of the CA papers that I found have needed to address simultaneously occurring conversations e.g. when the data were chat room conversations.

In my study I opted to record all conversations in the transcript rather than omitting some interactions to focus on others. This decision was a crucial (if controversial)one. One positive outcome was my finding that one student used the talk of others that he heard around him to take his own turn in interactions. I would never have noticed this if I had left out the talk occuring "around" Wayne.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home