talk-in-interaction

analysis, social organization, classroom talk

Thursday, March 25, 2010

Doormen

I've just been into amazon books to check a reference. While there I took a look at a couple of books that caught my fancy. One of those was:

Bearman, P.(2005). Doormen: Fieldwork encounters and discoveries. London: The University of Chicago Press.

The book begins with these words ...

"Residential doormen can be found in most major cities, but like bagels, they are quintessentially New York. While it surprises New Yorkers, for whom doormen are a critical element of their sense of self and place, no one has thought to study them or the larger social ecology of the lobby, where tenants and doormen meet."

Yes, I'm purchasing the book.

Meanwhile, I am intending to finish the last of my revisions for my journal article. One reviewer commented that the child's talk reminded him of Vygotsky's concept of private speech. I didn't know what I was going to do with that comment (and actually wasn't specifically required to do anything), however, I went back to my analysis and re-examined places to identify where the child could be said to addressing an adult and where talk may have been for himself. This exercise proved to be useful -resulting in some fine tuning of my previous analysis. That's the kind of feedback I like.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home