talk-in-interaction

analysis, social organization, classroom talk

Sunday, September 02, 2007

the old home town looks the same

 
Posted by Picasa

Here is a pic of Coolamon where i spent most of my teenage years (should that be misspent?). I spent a day here recently during a week's R and R from Rockhampton. It was interesting to go back - I bumped into people I hadn't seen for over thirty five years. The pic captures the view from the front yard of our house (the Police Station residence).I used to walk down that street several times a day. Nothing much has changed there on the surface.

I've got a lot of work to get done before the year finishes. I'm currently working on a resubmission of a draft journal article that I wrote in February. I find reworking articles difficult although the feedback from reviewers is fair and provides very useful suggestions.

Friday I'm off to Brisbane to attend a workshop run by John Heritage. I'm looking forward to it for several reasons. The opportunity to participate in a CA workshop doesn't come along often for me. THe focus for one part of the workshop is to be on questions. i did some analysis of students' question-question sequences of turns for my PhD examination of the social organisation of independent writing. The organisers have arranged dinner on friday night. I noticed that some "figures from my past" are on the list to attend. Ann kelly is one. I met Ann when she was President of ACAL and I was President of PETA. Ann was also supervised by Carolyn Baker. Calvin Smith is also attending. calvin took over my formal supervision for a period after Carolyn Baker died. I'm looking forward to catching up with both.

I'l be attending the workshop with Gillian Busch from CQU. Gillian is being supervised by Susan Danby and is researching mealtimes. It is fantastic for me to have Gillian on staff here as we can talk CA together.

 
Posted by Picasa

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home