talk-in-interaction

analysis, social organization, classroom talk

Friday, January 19, 2007

3 out of four IS sad

I've just noticed that another member of the mamas and the papas has died. I loved this from the yahoo comentary: Doherty once described the Mamas and the Papas' group dynamic like this to the Cleveland Plain Dealer: "The big woman was in love with me, but I was in love with the cute blonde, and she was married." The big woman was Elliot. The cute blonde was Michelle Phillips, who'd wed John Phillips as a teen.

And this,

While in life, Elliot seemed hopelessly in love with Doherty; in her death, Doherty seemed hopelessly devoted to her memory.

"If it wasn't for her, there would be no group, I'd like to get that across," Doherty said of his stage show in the Kansas City Star. "And that she didn't die from a frickin' ham sandwich."

hooley dooley, he was only a decade and a bit older than me. what can I have been thinking of when I embarked on a new stage of my careeer at cqu. should I be thinking of retirement, taking into account three and a half decades of paid working life to date rather than attempting to push forward to (hopefully) new heights as an academic.

I had my meeting with my Head of School yesterday about what I will be doing in 2007. it's a good process but at the same time brings me back to think about the future and what is required to be successful at a time when many of my friends are easing into retirement. what kind of crazy career path is this?

would I have it any differently? mmm probably not.

2 Comments:

At 7:40 PM, Blogger Jeanne said...

Retirement? To do what? Join the grey brigade and go campervanning around Australia? You do what you do SO well so what have age or other people's agendas got to do with it? You'll have a mind as sharp as a knife until you die; why put it out to pasture?

 
At 8:28 PM, Blogger christinA said...

actually I was thinking I might resume my nude modelling career (smile). unfinished business. then there is my talent for composing - setting poems to music was something I dabbled with in the last decade of the last century. now knitting is another thing. I am a very good knitter. only today i read an article about a woman who forsook (is that a word?) a career in business to reinvent herself as an artist who knits works of art that coincidently earn her a lot of money. then again, there is my flair for Indian cooking. I reckon Rocky could benefit from an excellent Indian restaurant (no fake madras curries but the proper deal - including vegetarian curries and you DON'T get any cutlery so you partake of the experience with your (right)hand. That would sort out the social structure pretty quickly.

but you're right of course. uni stuff is good for the mind so all the above will have to wait.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home