talk-in-interaction

analysis, social organization, classroom talk

Friday, January 12, 2007

talk about texts

For the last couple of weeks I've been writing a journal article. It is based around a short excerpt from the transcript I developed for my PhD. I'll record the excerpt here although I'm not sure that all of the notation will survive the translation into html. Let's see

1 Z: ((walking towards the teacher)) Miss Anderson (0.4)
2 T: ((teacher turns to face Zac))
3 (0.2)
4 Z: I writ the whole page ((passing his book to the teacher))
5 (1.0)
6 T: on saturday I went to Nan
7 (1.0)
8 Z: [to sleep up for the night*
9 T: [and Pop's* (0.4) party and slept
10 (1.0)
11 Z: over
12 (1.2)
13 T: did you write all this)
14 Z: [((Zac nodding yes))
15 T: [by yourself
16 (0.8)
17 T: or did Joanne help you? ((joking tone))
18 ((Zac nodding))
19 C: Miss Anderson?,((puts her hand in the teacher's hand))
20 (0.4)
21 T: well done! that's great what goes at the end of a sentence
22 though?
23 (0.4)
24 Z: full stop ((turning away))
25 T: full stop that's wonderful ((turns to face Cathlyn))

The notation doesn't work well on a blog so I HAVE had to omit some things such as changes in intonation. Neverthess, it's a nifty bit of interaction between Zac (who was five and a half) and his teacher. In my analysis I was particularly interested in the way the teacher used her reading of the text, and questioning, to determine whether Zac had written the text by himself.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home