talk-in-interaction

analysis, social organization, classroom talk

Thursday, November 30, 2006

Recent readings

  Posted by Picasa

Recently I've been trying to get a decent handle on case study. I started with the usual fare: Yin, Stake and Merriam. Yin lead me to Street Corner Society. I simplly loved it, particular the first part on Corner Boys and College Boys, and the appendixes. I'd love to use the latter with post grad research methods students. For example, Whyte writes about how one of his main informants (Doc) turned against him later in life. This was so surprising to me because I thought that the researcher handled Doc's words and actions with such care. I wanted to write to Whyte but a google searchrevealed that he had died a few years ago. What the search also resulted in was a picture of Whyte, and this lead me to believe that he is one of the boys pictured on the front cover during a march on city hall.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home