talk-in-interaction

analysis, social organization, classroom talk

Sunday, January 14, 2007

lippie

This post comes curtesy of my sister who told me a funny story the other day. She and her partner went out to dinner in a local pub. My sister went into the Ladies and was reapplying her lipstick when a young woman entered. The interaction between them went something like this:

YW: oh lippie, can I have some?
MS: um sure
YW: thanks
(YW applies lipstick and then passes it back to MS)
YW: don't like the colour much

Now girls, what would YOU have done? My sister still isn't sure why she agreed to hand over the lipstick to a total stranger BUT it was a very expensive brand and now she says she'll have to toss it. Her partner said "Can't you just take the top bit off". I suggested putting it in the freezer.

I'm still laughing. Julie thinks that perhaps it is a case of her not being able to say "no" to people. But perhaps it illustrates how powerful requests are, and in this case a request that was out-of-the-ordinary and so unexpected that my sister had no "stock" denial to draw upon that was acceptable in this (unacceptable?) situation. Classic last comment by the young woman though.

1 Comments:

At 6:44 PM, Blogger Jeanne said...

Maybe it's a sign of sisterhood (sharing, honesty). Good outcome for MS though - imagine if YW had liked it and asked to keep it. What reponse then?
A bit drastic to toss out the lipstick, I reckon. I'd wipe off the top layer with tissues.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home