talk-in-interaction

analysis, social organization, classroom talk

Thursday, September 21, 2006

house keeping

today saw me attending to bits and pieces that are easily put off but need to be done. first was updating my CV. no, I'm not intending to be needing my CV for anything at the moment but it pays to update it regularly. It was great to be able to change two publications from "under review" to "in press" and "accepted for publication". Making those changes heightened my sense of "what next?" So the second thing was to make a submission to a journal. It was an article that developed out of my presentation at AERA this year. I have been lingering over it, mostly because it uses what i regard as my best bit of analysis in my PhD. the process leading to publication is a long one I have discovered and so I hoped to circumvent the process by being really sure about the article. in the end I was tinkering, so decided today to stop that, send it off, and see what happens.

I have several drafts of papers "sitting around" on my computer and one received my attention today. I drafted the beginnings of the paper towards the end of last year but just left it in a post PhD moment of indecision. Today I decided that I should either toss it or finish it but not leave it sitting "in the sock drawer" on my computer. In the paper I argue that current conceptualizations of independent writing by young children foreground the ways that teacher instruction has informed it and ignore the ways that social activity and interaction constitute it. I've given myself this weekend to sort the paper, after that it becomes a submission to a journal or ceases to exist.

1 Comments:

At 12:33 AM, Blogger Jeanne said...

Sounds like a very productive week, Christina. Good luck with your work this weekend.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home