talk-in-interaction

analysis, social organization, classroom talk

Thursday, August 17, 2006

running the risk of blathering on about transcripts

Today I worked on my draft journal article again. I've cut massive sections out of the talk that i am using in the draft in order to bring it back to the word limit of 6,000 words. That's a cut of 2,500 words. I knew it had to be done but it requires ignoring so much of what i learnt about children's talk when examining independent writing during my doctural research. I worked so hard in my thesis to capture the multiple conversations that happened; the ways that individuals attended to the talk of others and how individual actions were relevant to the actions of others as evidenced in the transcript. The result was a complex transcript that others find difficult to read and journal editors find hard to publish without extensive editing that cuts out "extraneous talk"(weep). When i read my transcript I can clearly "see" the interaction that it captures -not linear at all- and just as I have come to understand talk that occurs when students are left to their own devices in the classroom.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home