talk-in-interaction

analysis, social organization, classroom talk

Tuesday, September 12, 2006

good talk today

I dropped by to visit one of my Ed D students today. Jeanne is mid data collection and developing transcripts and thinking about analysis. We chatted for quite a bit and had some good moments. I love talking around transcripts and it is especially interesting to be working with a higher degrees research student at the beginning of data collection and analysis. Definitely this makes it worthwhile to have moved across three states of Australia to take up my position.

Jeanne has been interviewing first year out teachers who have recently graduated from the undergrad program at CQU. while I can't pre-empt what she will do or find in her analysis, she has some great data and ideas about it. I tend to bring my ethno/CA bent to talk about transcripts and I think that it useful for offering different ways of thinking about what people DO in interviews even when the research student isn't using CA. Jeanne brought her growing familiarity with the transcipts, insights and enthusiasm for her developing work. It feels like real research is happening here.

1 Comments:

At 8:53 PM, Blogger Jeanne said...

It's such exciting work, much more than I thought it would be. And having your perspective, ChristinA, about what the words really mean is making me think about the data in different ways than I normally would. Must get the other four transcripts to you shortly...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home