talk-in-interaction

analysis, social organization, classroom talk

Tuesday, November 06, 2007

slowly, slowly

 
Today I'm putting my mind to the next journal article. I thought of the Journal of Classroom Interaction. While I can't access any current or past issues, I was able to find out some useful information that will help me decide whether to target this journal for my next publication.

1. The journal has published a small number of EM/CA papers in the past:
Baker, C. D. (1992). Description and analysis in classroom talk and interaction. In Journal of Classroom Interaction, 27, 9 - 14.

Heap, J. L. (1992). Seeing snubs, and introduction to sequential analysis of classroom interaction. In Journal of Classroom Interaction, 27, 23 - 38.

2. The journal has an acceptance rate of 11% - 20%.

3. There are only two issues a year.

I think that this journal would be a good place to submit an article based on a paper I presented at AERA this year.

Davidson, C. (2007). From package to practice:Examining the Ad Hoc in a Statewide Early Literacy Program. Annual Conference of AERA, April 9 - 13, Chicago, USA.

In this paper I attempted to establish that effectiveness programs ignore the on-the-ground, moment-by-moment, interaction work of students and their teachers during lessons.

The thing is, of course, I was funded generously by my Faculty to attend this conference. I presented several papers, however, to receive further funding for an overseas conference in 2008 I need to publish one of those papers as a journal article. That's fair and it's good practice to turn those conference papers into articles. The AERA process helps a lot because the initial proposal is 2,600 words. That is peer reviewed and feedback provided. If accepted the final paper must be uploaded before the conference, in order for each session discussant to have time to prepare comments. So, that process gets the written paper pretty close to something that could be published.

Apart from needing to produce a published journal article from a conference paper, it saves time if I can. The analyses in the papers this year were all very carefully, and fully done. So, either I publish them as is, or I need to do some further analysis of other bits of data from independent writing, and THEN draft a journal article. The latter sounds like a lot of work, no?
Posted by Picasa

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home