talk-in-interaction

analysis, social organization, classroom talk

Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Rocky days


fitzroy_3
Originally uploaded by angie cat

One of the nicest things about Rockhampton is the beautiful Fitroy River. I drive over this river every day when I go to and from work. It is very calming just to see all that water and so many boats.

It has been a busy week, and there is still much to do before Friday. I have to wrap up that journal article that i've been working on. Preparation of an ethics clearance application has taken me away from that for a couple of says. It is important to get ethics clearance applications right the first time so that has been quite a lot of work -the draft was done a couple of weeks ago but I had to pull it together by Tuesday and this required making some decisions about some aspects of the research I will do. Mostly this related to aspects of recording. I"m running late with the research, although in a sense that is not a bad thing. I feel more ready to recruit participants in Rocky now that i have been here longer and have more contacts.

I'm looking forward to moving onto new data analysis. while I thought i could write about my PhD data forever, I think it would be invigorating now to put my analytic skills to different data. In part, I owe my interest in shifting my research focus to the sharing of data that has occurred in a number of workshops this year. We have a research group at Rocky that meets once a month and we've looked at a lot of great data and analysis. My trips to Brisbane and the CA workshops there have also been useful to thinking about moving on. And, of course, it has been great to be able to see bits of Gillian's developing analysis of talk at family mealtimes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home